Some Linux Software Application Links - Adventures in Switching to Linux

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Some Linux Software Application Links

I don't have a lot to talk about today. I haven't had much time to play around or work on anything new today. I do have a few interesting Linux software links I've found off Digg recently to share. I haven't actually checked out the software yet but plan to check out some of it in the future.

  • Opensource Applications for Design and Development - There are a lot of applications listed here. Some I know are good, many I have not heard of. Some are pretty lame but the list is of 50 (or supposed to be, I didn't actually count them). I think the one I will play with first is Pixelize. I love mosaics! The last time I played with mosaic software was a Java application called JImage Mosaic.
  • Top 10 free Linux 3D games - I don't play many games but the screen shots of these look pretty sweet. I have played Tux Racer before and it was pretty fun. I look forward to trying out the America’s Army game. Update: America's Army is currently at version 2.8.2 but the latest Linux version is 2.5 and is no longer being supported (bummer!). You can still download the America's Army Linux Torrent I think.
Those links of "Linux Software" also reminded me of a site I found a while back. The site, open source software alternatives (osalt.com) helps users to find replacements for the commercial software they used to use on Windows. Looking for an iTunes replacement or something like mIRC?

Then there is the site "The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux." Despite it only being a single page, it is a gem. Looking at it again, it is much better than osalt.com.

What other sites do you know about that show Windows -> Linux software alternatives? Leave them for me in the comments!

No comments: