Running the Latest Version of Wine in Ubuntu - Adventures in Switching to Linux

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Running the Latest Version of Wine in Ubuntu

I've been trying to get some applications to work in Wine today. I was working on submitting an application to the Wine Application DB but the version of Wine that comes with Ubuntu 7.10 was not listed. Wine puts out releases rather frequently so they don't wont to bother with old versions and possibly old and now resolved issues. The current version of Wine is 0.9.52 but I was running 0.9.46 with no default update from Ubuntu. The Wine AppDB submission form would only accept applications tested as far back as 0.9.47.

I did find an easy way to upgrade my copy of Wine to the latest release though. All you have to do is uninstall the current version of Wine, add a repository, and then in Synaptic Package Manager, add the new version of Wine back. All the details of updating it can be found in this Ubuntu Forum.

No comments: