The program 'XYZ' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: - Adventures in Switching to Linux

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The program 'XYZ' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:

I am not sure who to thank but a big thanks to who or whatever implemented the code to tell me when something I want to run is not installed and how to install it!

I am working on a website for my uncle and I needed to get a development environment up and running. It is going to be a simple and mostly brochureware site so I just wanted PHP and Apache. I went to check to see what version of php was installed and got this:

The program 'php' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install php5-cli


Now that is some user friendliness. I had already installed some of the PHP packages from Synaptic (since they were not listed under Add/Remove Programs) but apparently I missed some things.

Now we shall see how well Smarty works. I've not worked with PHP in a long time and the last time I did I had my own hacked template code. Good times.

No comments: